- Prof. Dr. Professor Ayed Al-Qahtani, a Saudi national, is a professor of general surgery at the College of Medicine at King Saud University. He is a consultant in laparoscopic and obesity surgery at King Fahd Medical City and King Saud University, and Chairman of the Board of Graduate Studies in them.
Professor Ayedh Al-Qahtani received his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery with honors degree in 1992 from King Saud University. Driven by his ambition and passion for education, he continued his career by moving to Canada, McGill University, where he obtained his fellowship in general surgery.Then the professor continued his education, moving from one success to a greater success than him, and obtained a Canadian fellowship from the University of Montreal in pediatric surgery. The professor then transferred to the United States of America, the American College of Surgeons, where he obtained the American Board of General Surgery, and the American Board of Pediatric Surgery.
- Thanks to the passion that the professor has, he held several positions in the health and medical fields inside and outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, thus raising the flag of the Kingdom high in international forums and major medical conferences, thus consolidating the nobility of this country and its distinction at various levels. Professor Ayedh Al-Qahtani held the position of Chairman of the Board of Graduate Studies at the College of Medicine and King Saud University, and was one of the most prominent members with active participation in the Medical Education Council of King Saud University. He also personally supervised, from 2002 to 2007, all graduate programs at the university.
From 2003 to 2005, the professor held the position of Deputy Head of the Department of Surgery at King Saud University, from which he began his career and this journey of success.
The professor also served as the Chairman of the Examination Committee for the Pediatric Surgery Program at the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties, and was a member of the Executive Council of the International Society for Laparoscopic Surgery. Committee for examining students nominated for the fellowship of medicine and pediatric surgery at the University of Montreal, Department of Surgery, Saint-Justin Hospital, from 2001 to 2002, He represented Saudi doctors at the university from 1998 to 2000, and was a member of the evaluation committee at the Royal Canadian College of Intensive Care Unit at McGill University in 1999.
- President of the Saudi Arabian Society of Obesity Medicine and Surgery (SASMBS)
- President of the Gulf Society for Bariatric Surgery (GOSS)
- Chief Executive Officer – New You Medical Center – Riyadh / Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Professor and Consultant of Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery – College of Medicine – King Saud University and King Khalid University Hospital – Riyadh / Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Former Supervisor of Postgraduate Studies – King Saud University – Riyadh / Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Supervisor of the Obesity Chair – College of Medicine – King Saud University – Riyadh / Saudi Arabia.
- Founder and Supervisor of the Multidisciplinary Obesity Clinic – King Saud University.
- Former Director of the Bariatric Surgery Program at King Fahd Medical City.
- Past President – Arab Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (PASMBS).
- Past President – International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery (IPEG).
- Founder and former President of the International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery (IPEG) in the Middle East.
- Former Chairman of the Membership Committee, of the Saudi Society of Obesity Medicine and Surgery (SASMBS).
Honors and Awards
- American Society for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery ASMBS Award in Pediatric Bariatric Surgery 2018
- Surgeon of the Year award in 2010. Surgeon of the year)), University of Graz, Austria
- Honoring among the thirty best laparoscopic surgeries from the IRCAD Center, Strasbourg, France, 2007.
- Dean’s Honorary Award for Outstanding Results in Post-Doctoral Training 2002 from the University of Montreal, Canada.
- The award for best research paper in general surgery in 1998 was entitled: (Investigative modalities of massive lower GI Bleeding).
- Honors – King Saud University.
- 2000 American Board of General and Laparoscopic Surgery and Canadian Fellowship in General Surgery.
- 1995-2000 Resident in General Surgery – McGill University – Canada / Montreal
- 1992 Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and General Surgery with honors, College of Medicine – King Saud University – Saudi Arabia / Riyadh.
- 2014 – Present – Professor of Obesity and Laparoscopic Surgery.
- 2007 – 2014 – Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery – College of Medicine at King Saud University and King Khalid University Hospital in Riyadh
- 2002- 2007 – Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery – College of Medicine at King Saud University and King Khalid University Hospital in Riyadh
- 2002-2004- Deputy Director of the Resident Training Program at the Department of Surgery at King Saud University
- 2003-2005 – Deputy Head of the Department of Surgery for Academic Affairs
- 2002-2007 – Supervisor of the Postgraduate Program – College of Medicine, King Saud University – Saudi Arabia / Riyadh
- 2003-2009- Supervisor of the Pediatric Surgery Training Program at King Saud University
- 2003-2012 – Chairman of the Examination Committee for the Pediatric Surgery Program at the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties
- 1998 -2000- Representative of all Saudi doctors at McGill University, Canada.
- Founder and Supervisor of the Student Health Club
- Founder and Supervisor of Hayat Volunteer Club for Students
- Founder and Supervisor of the Innovative Student Club at King Saud University, Riyadh
- 2022-present Saudi Arabian Society of Obesity Medicine and Surgery (SASMBS)
- 2014-present American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO).
- Now the Arab Society for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery (PASMBS)
- 2007-present American Obesity Association.
2007 – Present, American Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons (SAGES).
- 2001-present Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- 2001 – Up to Fellow – American College of Surgeons.
- 1999 – Until the International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery (IPEG).
Scientific bodies and committees
- Member of the Medical Education Council at the College of Medicine.
- Member of the Disaster Committee at King Khalid University Hospital and College of Medicine.
- Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Fifth Saudi Medical Conference in North America.
- Chairman of the Organizing Committee for Laparoscopic Course in Pediatric Surgery, Annual Session.
- Chairman of the Board of Membership of the Annual Conference of the International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery 2013 – until now.
- Member of the Supervising and Implementation Committee of the International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery 2013 – until now.
- Member of the Executive Board of the International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery 2009 – until now.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Canadian Society of Pediatric Surgery 2005-2009.
- Member of the Skills Lab Committee at the College of Medicine 2002-2007.
- Member of the Communication Skills Committee at the College of Medicine 2002-2007.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Society of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery 2006 – until now.
- Head of the Teaching Committee in the Department of Surgery for Student Affairs 2003-2005.
- Member of the Internet Committee at the Faculty of Medicine 2003 –
- Member of the Physician Selection Committee for the Pediatric Surgery Fellowship Program at the University of Montreal Department of Surgery, Saint-Justine Hospital 2001-2002.
- Member of the Education Committee, Department of General Surgery, Saint-Justine Hospital, University of Montreal 2001-2002.
- Trainer and Supervisor of Medical Students at McGill University, Canada 1999 – 2000.
- Member of the Saudi Commission – Committee for Evaluation and Accreditation in Pediatric Surgery.
- Member of the Saudi Commission – Local Training Committee in Pediatric Surgery.
- Member of the Saudi Board – Scientific Council in Pediatric Surgery.
- Member of the Evaluation Committee at Imperial College – Pediatric Critical Care Unit, McGill University
Writing and scientific books
- Chapter on Pediatric Surgery Report, JAYPEE, Pediatric Surgery Diagnosis and Treatment.
- Chapter on Obesity and Diabetes Control (Nutrition and Health) Springer, 2011 Chapter 13 ISBN 978-1-60327-255-1
- Chapter in Italian on Pediatric Bariatric Surgery and Laparoscopy Technology from Pediatrica Manuale di Videochirurgia- Paperback (Nov. 30, 2010) Springer
Editor and Supervisor of Handbooks Implementation
- Healthy Recipes: Over 50 healthy recipes.
- A Patient’s Guide to Bariatric Surgery.
- Patient protocol after bariatric surgery.
- Your food guide: dedicated to the most famous recipes in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Measuring guide for personal use.
- Smart Calorie Calculator
- 50 Video Recipes for the Most Popular Meals in Saudi Arabia
- Design and production of the first healthy plate designed to mimic the actual shape and size of the stomach.
- Editor-in-chief and director of the first Saudi magazine specialized in issues related to obesity and health.
Editor and Supervisor of Implementation of Obesity Awareness Materials
- The patient’s guide to the Clinic for Health Specialties.
- Obesity: a global epidemic.
- Diet plan for post-gastric surgery.
- Vitamin D and its nutritional value.
- Smart Shopping: A healthy shopping plan.
- Eat this and not this for healthy kids.
- Parents guide: How to deal with obese children.
- Behavioral therapy and obesity.
- National Obesity Campaign!
- Be Active Be Healthy A physical activity guide for obese patients.
- 60 Minutes Is All You Need: Fitness Tips.
- Your traffic light for a healthy life.
- Obesity and disease.
- What will happen to your body when you lose weight.
- Obesity and diabetes.
- Where to find vitamins and minerals in daily food.
Leading the prevention of obesity and its repercussions in Saudi Arabia
Designing and supervising awareness campaigns to combat obesity in different sectors:
- Anti-obesity awareness campaign, Aramco summer program 2012.
- Anti-obesity awareness campaign, crown health week activities.
- Establishing an awareness campaign to combat obesity for university students.
- Management of obesity prevention activities at the Aramco Festival: Ras Tanura.
- Establishing an obesity awareness campaign in Taif in cooperation with Taif University.
- Aramco Al-Jouf Festival.
- Healthy kitchen and educational corner for one month at Aramco annual festival.
- Participation in the Janadriyah Festival for 15 days.
- Lecture and participation in an awareness day in Prince Sultan Humanitarian City.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity in the Kingdom’s schools.
- Training nurses in primary care centers how to deal with obese patients.
- Obesity and Down Syndrome Lecture in Down Syndrome Voice Schools.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity, Huraymila schools.
- Anti-obesity awareness campaign for more than 20,000 visitors to Janadriyah 26th Festival with awareness section for physical activity and sports, healthy food and healthy food recipes section, comprehensive tests and a section for taking measurements.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity in the commercial complex (Al-Aziziyah) in Jeddah.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity in the commercial complex (Al-Rashid) in the Eastern Province.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity in the commercial complex (Al-Rashid) in the Eastern Province.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity in the commercial complex (Granada) in Riyadh.
- An awareness campaign to combat obesity in the commercial complex (Riyadh Gallery) in Riyadh.
- Awareness campaign to combat obesity in Kingdom Hospital in Riyadh.
- Obesity Awareness Day at Prince Nayef Medical Center, King Fahd Security College.
- Anti-obesity awareness day in 5 high schools targeting students and their parents.
- Obesity awareness day for students of Manarat Al Riyadh School.
- Anti-Obesity Awareness Day at National Guard Hospital to raise awareness of the danger of obesity.
- Awareness days include lectures by the Ministry of Education, “the women’s sector”.
- The National Obesity Awareness Campaign at Aramco Festival 2011
- Awareness Day, National Obesity Campaign, Red Sea Mall in Jeddah
- Awareness Day, the National Obesity Campaign in Al-Rashid Complex in Al-Khobar
- Fitness and Diet Exhibition
- Talent Program Activity – Infertility and Reproduction, King Saud University
- Awareness Day “Let’s Walk” Alishah – Girls College at King Saud University
- School Awareness Program for Private Schools
- The school awareness campaign “Min is your heart” implemented by a group of King Saud University students and supervised by the Head of the Obesity Department
- Talent Program Activity, King Abdulaziz and His Companions Foundation for Giftedness and Creativity
- Awareness Day – Obesity Treatment and Prevention Methods, Unaizah, Saudi Arabia
- World Nutrition Day “Childhood Obesity”, Riyadh.
- Health Awareness – Obesity, the global epidemic within the “Biotechnology and Diseases of the Age” program, King Saud University
Supervisor and President of the Annual International Conference on Obesity
- Conference design: topic and concepts.
- Pioneering the scientific committee in developing the scientific program.
- Supervising and managing the administrative staff and logistics of the conference.
- Drafting conference recommendations and sending them to the legal sectors.
- Develop national strategies and policies to combat obesity.
Seminar leader or lecturer at conferences, courses, workshops and seminars
Visiting lecturer at conferences
Conferences, courses and seminars
Scientific papers that have been published
Supervising postgraduate students
- The Relationship Between Overweight/Obesity and Dental Diseases in Saudi Children and Adolescents, Nahla Jatniyeh (Graduate)
- The effect of weight loss after gastric bypass on the levels of pre-inflammatory cytokines (IL-1, IL-6 and TNF) in obese adolescents in Riyadh. Al-Anoud Al-Adel (graduated)
- Nutritional status before and after bariatric surgery: a comparison between gastric sleeve and gastric banding in children in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Madawi Al-Duwayan (graduated)
- The relationship between vitamin D level and body mass index (BMI) in Saudi women, Hayat Al-Zahrani (under treatment)
- Effect of Low Glycemic Index on Metabolic Syndrome, Rasha Al-Hussein (under treatment)
- The genetic study of familial obesity in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Haya Al-Saud, Imperial College, London)
- Changes in eating behavior and meal patterns after vertical sleeve gastrectomy (Galeh Abdeen, Imperial College, London)
- The effect of bariatric surgery on the level of vitamin D and metabolic bone disease in children and adolescents (Manal bin Obaid, King Saud University)
- Comparison in compliance with the Obesity Control Chair Program and Weight Control and Obesity in Children and Adolescents. Pylori and bariatric surgery.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and obesity in children and adolescents.
- Mental retardation and obesity surgery.
- Deficiency of trace elements and obesity.
- Prader-Willi syndrome and bariatric surgery.
- Down syndrome and bariatric surgery.
- Healthy Quality of Life and Bariatric Surgery.
- Eating behavior after bariatric surgery.
- The number of meals after bariatric surgery.
- Bone density after bariatric surgery.